Wednesday 18 June 2014

Mama Life

Xander is almost 7 months and things are getting to be good. He sleeps most of the night and during the day he's pretty much an angel, fussing only when he's in pain from teething. So just when I'm finally over the shock of being a new mom, it's time to start thinking about work again. The sweet thing is Xander gets to help! I've got about a zillion photos of him so far and counting, and also managed to make a few clothes...

As far as inspiration goes I have more than enough from Xander, anyone who works for themselves knows motivation is the hard part! Check back for new stuff soon, and eventually the website will back up and running too. For now here's this:

Being a mom has introduced me to a lot of things I obviously never had thought about before, one being breastfeeding rights. Before deciding to have a baby I assumed I wouldn't even breastfeed at all! I remember feeling afraid of it, thinking it was a bit weird even though it's the most natural thing to do. At first it was tricky. It was tiring, awkward and if we were out in public and he was hungry I was terrified! What if my nursing cover came open? Obviously so embarrassing, right? It shouldn't be!

There was a thing that happened where a women was nursing her baby in a Victoria's Secret and she was told to leave... what are boobs for again..?? I started doing some research on breastfeeding in public and organizations promoting it and realized I was a little angry that I've been given this idea that bottle feeding in public is more appropriate in our society. There are portraits and paintings of women all throughout history breastfeeding their babies and I'm not really sure where the point was that it became wrong to feed your baby openly.

Plan to see more breastfeeding photos when my website comes back, but for now here's a self portrait with the little guy.


Please check out these sites for reference: 

2 comments: